The Ministry of AYUSH declared a scheme to support short-term research projects for evaluating the impact of AYUSH response and medicines in the treatment and prevention of COVID-19. Meanwhile, the Ministry of AYUSH recently recommended self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications support these measures.
The Scheme by Ministry of AYUSH
The hospitals and institutions falling under the extramural research category and involved in the management of COVID-19 cases are invited to participate. Extramural research category means those institutions which are from outside the AYUSH Ministry establishment. The proposals should be related to judging the role of AYUSH in limiting the spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection and Coronavirus.
Project proposals of a maximum of six months duration with Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) clearance will be considered for support up to Rs. 10.00 lakhs to meet the expenditure on engaging AYUSH clinicians, technical manpower, laboratory investigations and related contingencies.
The details including eligibility criteria, the mode for submission of application, application form are uploaded on the Ministry of AYUSH website.
Send applications through mail only. Applications accepted till 01/05/2020. The mailing address is [email protected].
Preventive Health Measures to boost immunity
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation daily for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH
- Use spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar-free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea/decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half teaspoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil/coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by a warm water rinse. Do this once or twice a day.
During dry cough / sore throat
- Practice Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) once in a day.
- Take Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar/honey 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist. Follow these measures as much as possible depending on a person’s convenience. Some eminent Vaidyas from across the Country have recommended them. They may possibly boost a person’s immunity against infections.